Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 10 of 365...

Day 10 of 365: Thankful for song-writers who get 'it'.

(I suppose I could also title this "Thankful for music, for allowing me to create a soundtrack of my life.")

There is one song in particular which touches me. I cried the first time I heard it. John Mayer is the writer and singer, and part of the chorus says:

"Fathers be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do,
Girls become lovers, who turn in to mothers,
So mothers be good to your daughters too..."



Having been the child of a so called 'broken home' and living through one bad divorce between my mother and father, my childhood was one that I could never wish upon a child. When I heard this song, I felt like it could have been written for me, or about me. To listen to this song (even today, although now I am at peace with whatever feelings once ailed me over broken relationships within my life from childhood to adulthood) is therapy. While I am grateful now for the lessons I have learned from other peoples' choices, I spent many days sad over those choices my own parents made. My father battled his own demons for years before finally walking a path that would bring him closer to God (and I am so proud of him today!) and my mother chose to opt out of her role as a parent after only 9 short years. I credit the choices of my predecessors partly in my own choices (both good and bad) which have been made in my own relationships. Yes, I love that John Mayer song. It is one on the 'soundtrack' of my life.

Whether I want to hear something to remind me to look to my God, or to get me energized for the day with a little heavier guitar riff, I have a song for that. If I'm angry and need to hear someone sing something a little less 'rainbows and sunshine', I have a song for that. I have songs I sing to my children to get them to sleep, songs that my husband and I sing which take us back to our dating days when we drove around Grayson for hours on end just enjoying each other, I have a song to take me back to that. There is another song which reminds me of my parents' divorce. Strange enough, today it comforts me in a way it didn't 20 years ago. I have songs that remind me of my teenage years with my friends in highschool. Mostly those songs make me miss my friends, but I am thankful for the memories we made together. 

There is a country song that goes something like this, and it sums this post up pretty perfectly:

"Aint it funny how a melody can bring back a memory?
Take you to another place and time
Completely change your state of mind..." 



2 comments:

  1. Yep. Music is therapy. I SUCK majorly at singing, but me and my girls love to rock out in the car. I wish I could sing them to sleep, but it would probably make them want to get up and RUN! LOL!
    Sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raymonn has songs for everything too. I'm so proud of you and what you've come through, how you've come through it, and the woman that you are. So incredibly blessed to be a part of your life.

    ReplyDelete